Thursday, August 19, 2004

Every Day I Read the Book

Since I've been home, I've taken up the art of "reading" again. I have all this spare time and since it's been unseasonably cold/cloudy out, I've been spending a lot of my time indoors with a book. In the past week, I finished "Miss Wyoming" by Douglas Coupland (which was all right) and the novella "Bear" by Marian Engel (which I quite enjoyed despite the TOTALLY FUCKED UP factor, but now I'm worried I'll blush like a schoolgirl everytime I see a bear. I feel like a co-conspirator...)

I was hoping people could leave their recommendations for good summer reading in the comments section of my blog. Is there one particular novel that has bowled you over, and that you think about on a weekly basis? Is there a character that sticks in your mind years after reading about him/her? Maybe it's your favourite book. Maybe it isn't. But when you were reading it, you were utterly absorbed in the author's fictional little world. I need that. I want that. Tell me what to read, please.

Just so I'm being completely fair, here are my recommendations to you:
  • "Fall on Your Knees", Ann-Marie Macdonald
  • "Lolita", Vladimir Nabokov
  • "The Robber Bride", Margaret Atwood
  • "Cannery Row", John Steinbeck
  • "High Fidelity", Nick Hornby
  • "White Teeth", Zadie Smith
  • "Written on the Body", Jeannette Winterson
  • "Nights at the Circus", Angela Carter
  • "Life After God" and "Microserfs", Douglas Coupland

That was in no particular order, although the first two really are my very favourites.

Okay. Don't let me down, now.

(Now playing: "Golden Brown", The Stranglers)

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was all set to tell you to read High Fidelity and/or White Teeth. Damnit, Sofi! I'm about halfway through Tender is the Night (F. Scott Fitzgerald) right now. Red Tent by Anita Diamant (I think...?) is good and was well-received by two other friends who read it.

kisses,
melissa

1:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My absolute favourite book of all time is the very funny, very tragic, and very epic Pulitzer prize-winning novel, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon (he also cowrote the Spiderman II script). The novel takes place during WWII, and a guy from Prague escapes to America to live with his cousin, and to become a comic book illustrator--so as to escape the realities of the War. You shan't miss it. Salvador Dali has a cameo in it. It's a love story. It's a coming-of-age novel. It's a masterpiece!

Tony.

1:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally read the autobiography "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius" by Dave Eggers. It made me laugh; it made me cry. Eggers, by the way, is a good friend of Nick Hornby and Michael Chabon.

TOFO

1:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, exciting books that I just read: Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood (and I HATE Margaret Atwood, but I LOVED this book), anything by Janet Evanovich in her Stephanie Plum series - the writing isn't the strongest but she has great, realistic HILARIOUS characters, and Jeffrey Archer's Sons of Fortune was alright - happy reading!

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ian mcewan - atonement (or 'amsterdam', his previous book; i prefer atonement though)
martin amis - experience (one of my all-time favourites)
nabokov - speak, memory
philip roth - american pastoral (actually, all roths are good.)

- priscilla

7:27 PM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Observatory Mansions - Edward Carey
No One Thinks Of Greenland - John Griesemer
Whale Music and Home Game - Paul Quarrington
Good Omens - Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchet
Them - Jon Ronson
Any short story collection by Roald Dahl
Carter Beats The Devil - Glen David Gold
Dan Leno and The Limehouse Golem - Peter Ackroyd
On A Cold Road - Dave Bidini
Have Not Been The Same - many authors
Anything by Edward Gorey - especially the Gashlycrumb Tinies

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand people who hate Margaret Atwood?!?!? The Edible Woman is probably my favourite one of hers so if you haven't read it give it a try. Right now i'm reading a Salman Rushdie novel ("FURY") because I figured i should read something of his because a) there is all this fuss about him and b) the book was on sale. But it's good so far, so i think i'll be reading some of his better known stuff after i finish this novel.

The cuz.

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess I suggest You Shall Know our Velocity by Dave Eggers, it's nowhere near as good as a Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius but is a fairly good way to waste a few days.

Also, Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs by Chuck Klosterman was fairly good, if not frighteningly pretentious.

I own both, so you can just walk into my room and take.

~john

P.S. - "Fall on Your Knees", Ann-Marie Macdonald "Lolita", Vladimir Nabokov...That was in no particular order, although the first two really are my very favourites"

No wonder you're so fucked up.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Albino Squirrel said...

"Vernon God Little," by DBC Pierre, is one of my current favourites. Won the Booker last year, and deservedly so.

Anything by Rushdie is usually good, although "Midnight's Children" and "The Moor's Last Sigh" are particular standouts. I'm reading "Grimus," his first novel, right now. "Fury" is kind of sub-par for him.

I got a lot of reading done on my recent road trip, including "Miss Wyoming" which was pretty good. Oh, and most of "Choke Hold" by Todd Babiak, which I left at your apartment. Hint, hint.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Philip Roth -
So I Married A Communist
American Pastoral
The Human Stain

The three are a trilogy of sorts on post-war American life. I think it has a particular resonance for Jewish immigrants, but overall just plain excellent books

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home