Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Memorize the City

This is my final communiqué from Montreal.

Tomorrow, I’m going to Kingston for a couple of weeks to intern at the Whig-Standard. After that, it’s back to Toronto the Good for good.

Montreal is a beautiful city, but it’s never really felt like home. Toronto is calling me back, and I think that’s where I’m supposed to be, for now.

Things I will miss about Montreal

  • The view of the mountain from my bedroom window
  • Poutine
  • Stunning architecture, especially in the old port
  • The strange and lovely smell of coffee and burnt chocolate that permeates St-Denis
  • Francophone men, what with their full lips and strong (oft-dimpled) chins and dark eyelashes to here and ever-so-slightly upturned noses and sharp cheekbones, my god they are so beautiful they make me ache all over
  • Dirt cheap metropasses
  • Churchbells
  • My amazing, hilarious and obscenely talented classmates
  • The fact that there are seven wicked independent record shops within a seven minute walking distance from my apartment (Sonik, Le Pick Up, Paul’s Boutique, Primitive, Beatnick, L’Oblique and Le Subalterne)
  • St. Viateur bagels
  • Buying beer and wine from the corner store

Things I will not miss about Montreal

  • French
  • Smoking
  • Francophone women, what with their huge eyes and slim waists and perfect skin and dark eyelashes to here and slightly upturned noses and sharp cheekbones, my god they are so beautiful they make me want to kick something
  • Our leaky goddamned kitchen faucet
  • Being relatively poor in a city where there are so many beautiful clothes and cool shoes and killer records to be purchased and enjoyed
Allez, salut!

(Now playing: “A Bientot”, Ginette)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whatever. I won't miss you either.

(No one but Finch can hear my racking sobs.)

(And even that is questionable since the faucet is having a real red-letter night.)

10:58 PM  
Blogger I am the lizard queen said...

Yeah, I think the Lizzes of Montreal are one of its better assets.
You also forgot about all the summertime festivals and soccer-induced honking. Not to mention the tastiest chicken and gravy in the world.

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Fruit Fly:

Consider yourself replaced.

harrumph and kisses,
Benjamin

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Strange.

The thing I liked most about Montreal was Smoking.

That and fearing for my life when entering a taxi.

2:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home