Sunday, April 03, 2005

Purple, Rain.

Not long after the announcement from the Vatican, I had to go outside to run an errand. It was just pouring rain and every church bell in my part of the city was tolling. It seemed to me that everyone had on a black coat and carried a black umbrella. I exchanged knowing, sympathetic looks with strangers on the street.

It felt like the end of the world.

I'm not religious. If I were religious, Catholicism would definitely not be my religion of choice. But despite my very liberal views and heathenism (hedonism?), I felt oddly moved by the man's death. Sure, I cracked jokes like everyone else ("Haha, gotcha! April Fool's, everybody! I've got 6 months left in me yet!") but when he died, the significance of the event was difficult to dismiss.

In a way, it was a lot like Terry Schiavo (I know, I know). I spent days thinking, "Just fucking die, already!" but when she died, it was like, "Oh. Okay. So...now what?"

There was a rumour circulating that the white cross on Mount Royal turns purple when a pope dies. Some believed this to be fact. Others dismissed it as an urban myth, saying it started as a joke in a McGill frosh handbook.

It was so foggy last night, I could barely see the mountain, let alone the cross. But a few brave souls trekked up the mountain to discover this:



I hope it's clearer out tonight. I've heard that the cross will remain purple until the new pope is chosen.

Oh, and speaking of purple and rain...

(Now playing: "The Town Halo", A.C. Newman)

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a brave soul! I trekked! I even blogged it.

Also, did anyone catch the PJP2 funeral on tv? He wasn't in a coffin, he was just laying out there, on an alter-like surface. Very odd. And disturbing.

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I please request that we never, ever use "PJP2" to refer to the Pope? No Ben, I haven't gone Catholic, but just as Savage Love tore a piece out of teenage girls for emoticons, this has to go the way of Y2K.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I please request that we never, ever use "PJP2" to refer to the Pope? No Ben, I haven't gone Catholic, but just as Savage Love tore a piece out of teenage girls for emoticons, this has to go the way of Y2K.

8:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(1) I have Prince stuck in my head. And you, Sofi, are to blame.

(2) PJP2 is here to stay. Not because I'd actually ever called him "P-J-P-2" but because I like how it looks, as a symbol. Picture the J, hangining down, stylized, below the first P. Picture the 2 added, stamped on, to the end. Yup, I like it. Taking iconography to the next millenium.

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AAARGH!
Well, okay, be that way.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Daphna, although I don't think I'm as enthusiastic about it as she is. I just don't think that any acronym which might result in someone confusing the Pope with RJD2 is acceptable.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Here's hoping for the reign of PJP3.

8:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, Dave, rumour has it that there isn't a PJP3 in the running (at least this go around). However, we might soon be saying "long live PP3". (Pope Paul III)

3:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home