Monday, May 02, 2005

The Soundtrack of Our (Love) Lives

Matt wrote a pretty great opinion piece in Wavelength this month that I really think you should read.

When he ran it by me the first time, I recognized myself in his experiences. I think it's a pretty common thing for a lot of people. But then! Oh, then! I got angry.

Because, in my dating lifetime, boys have not only ruined songs or albums or bands for me. They have ruined entire goddamn genres!

Surf music? Check. The first boy who ever legitimately stomped on my heart was in a surf band. To this day, I can't watch a Tarantino film without gritting my teeth.

Electronica? Ditto.

Canadian indie music (AKA my entire record collection)? You betcha.

The latest offender was a connoisseur of rare 60's pop and psych and yeye and garage. (Which is a shame, because that's some great shit. But since he introduced me to most of it, it's inextricably linked to him.)

The next boy I date/sleep with will be named Rocco. He will enjoy synth-based dance music. And when we move on to pastures new, the only thing that will remind me of him will be the smell of Brylcreem.

(Now playing: "Ostrogoth-a-go-go", Les Breastfeeders, which no one has ruined for me. Yet...)

4 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

Just date people with mainstream tastes that you can slowly. Corrupt. Over. Time.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sofi,

I'm 100% with you (on the ruining of music, not the Rocco thing). Luckily, none of the men I have dated want to listed to classic rock and grunge circa 1994 all the time (which is all I would ever listen to, were I single) so while the men come and go, they leave with the music that I listened to but never really enjoyed. When I'm by myself it's just me and my highschool tape collection.

Smells like teen spirit,

Daphna

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link, Sofi. I'm glad you enjoyed the piece, and I agree with what you said about entire genres. There was actually a great deal of material that I had to cut from the early draft in order to meet the target word count, part of which dealt with this very idea.

Really, what I think we all should do from this point forward is just listening to My Bloody Valentine and nothing else. It's pretty tough for somebody to ruin My Bloody Valentine for you, since it's already so depressing and miserable.

2:01 PM  
Blogger Sofi said...

True enough.

And hey - no one can ever ruin The Smiths for me! Hurray!

Small comforts.

2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home