Sunday, July 30, 2006

Television

Two Canadian Gameshow Announcers Meet On The Street

-Hi Bob, how are you?

-Just fine, Bill! But I see you've put on a little weight, ever since you got your brand new McDonald's coupons!

-Available at McDonald's franchises across Canada! But I've seen
you cruising down the street- in your brand new coat!

-Yes! It's a beautiful down-filled coat from Sears, Bill! Good against all the ravages of the winter weather! But again, that is nothing compared to where you're going...

-Beautiful downtown Hamilton! I'll be spending seven days and two sensuous nights at the beautiful Hamilton Motor Inn, overlooking absolutely nothing!

-Corky And The Juice Pigs

***

This blog is a little late in coming. I've been super busy with weddings, birthdays and lovely out-of-town visitors (hello!).

On Wednesday night, I took part in a Canadian gameshow. Specifically, a taping of The Comedy Network's pop culture show, You Bet Your Ass. Making things very interesting indeed was the fact that I was pitted against a Queen's friendquaintance: former Common Ground barrista, charismatic stand-up comic and homosexual force of nature, Andrew Johnston.

Here we are on set before the taping began. (This photo was doctored by Andrew, which is why the ME label is on Andrew and not actually on ME.)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(The make-up palette used on me is going to be huge next season, by the by. It's called "A Crackwhore in Earthtones". Watch for it at a Shopper's Drug Mart near you!)

Anyway, Andrew and I tried to keep our friendship on the DL, all the while throwing cartoonish gape-mouthed winks at each other when no one was looking. Not that our knowing each other mattered much, anyway. We were still very much intent on kicking each other's asses.

I'm not going to tell you who won. You'll have to tune into the show for that (or, uh, just go read Andrew's myspace blog.) But let me just say that I really wish I had a) paid more attention to co-workers/dorky boys I have dated whenever they waxed enthusiastic about video game consoles and b) studied up on the more obscure points of Johnny Carson's life and investments. Cough.

I'm fairly certain that YBYA is still on the prowl for some peppy, pop-cultured contestants. You can win up to $2500, which isn't too bad for a Canadian gameshow. Drop me a line if you're interested in being a contestant and I'll hook y'all up propah.

(Now playing: "Teenland", The Northern Pikes)

7 Comments:

Blogger Priscilla said...

your shirt, as usual, is cute!

- ms p

2:23 PM  
Blogger Sofi said...

Thanks! I like it lots and wear it perhaps a little too often. The last guy I dated said it made me look like a waitress named Midge.

This was verified recently when I wore it in Gorilla Monsoon and two girls asked me for menus.

4:51 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Happy belated b-day Sofi!

7:57 PM  
Blogger Sofi said...

Thanks, lady!

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Two references to bands in your blog post, and I recognize both of them for once!

Does that mean I'm cool?

Oh, also when does this air?

4:08 AM  
Blogger Sofi said...

There are actually 3 band references in this post. If you can find the third, you are indeed cool.

It's supposed to air sometime in September. I'll let you know.

7:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I officially hereby reequest a reminder with ample notice of the upcoming YBYA episode staring your pop-culture savvy self. (Because, well, I'll need time to find someone who has cable.)

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home