Sunday, June 13, 2004

Don't Get Down

First twinges of homesickness struck a few days ago. Not homesickness like "Man oh man, do I ever miss Scarborough and never having fun!" Just this sense of displacement and palpable loneliness. I'm feeling better now that I've been in the company of familiar people, but it was a brutal feeling for a while there. I'm realizing that I am not one of those people who are perfectly content to live alone. (I'm talking to myself a LOT, and it's scaring me.)

I spent Thursday night with Sherwin. I don't know Sherwin very well, but he is well on his way to becoming one of my favourite people here. He's like this...whirlwind. And he likes Belle & Sebastian. We ate dinner at Parfum D'Asie and proceeded to Cabaret to get uncomfortably warm and take in Feist.

Friday was our first broadcasting class, and I'm less scared of it than I thought I would be. I dislike the idea of being on camera ever, but radio will be fun and learning about digital editing and such will be super keen. A whole bunch of us went to St. Sulpice afterwards, which is this pub with an absolutely massive back terrace. We drank pitchers and ate poutine and chatted for hours. Our little class is gelling nicely, and for that I am glad. Eventually, I went to see the always-lovely Hayden (featuring Cuff the Duke in a walk-on role) and Great Lake Swimmers with Joslyn, Katie, Jose and Paul from journalism. Jenny and her friend Liz W. arrived later on, and I spent the majority of the weekend with them.

My Liz was also here this weekend, and a bunch of us had delicious fancy salads and beer at the Shed Cafe all afternoon. All in all, a lot of love was felt and I am looking forward to my summer roommate's arrival on Wednesday. Rah! Rah! Sis boom bah! (I now understand why lonely old women adopt like a billion cats.)

(Now playing: "My Wife", Hayden)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You say "super keen".

You are cool.

-Benjamin

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sofi - see if you can locate Susan's friend Beaver. He's awesome, and probably still in MTL.
Cheers,
Daphna

2:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dearest sofikins,

there is nothing wrong with a billion cats.
luv you!

sera

9:20 AM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

That weird cat Sherwin used to drive me crazy. No matter how many times I met him, he would never remember who I was. That's very infuriating to us raging ego-cases.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home