Saturday, June 04, 2005

Back to the Old House

The other day, my brother and I were watching that Simpsons episode where Lisa gets mistaken for a college student.

"I miss university!" I mused aloud.

I realized last night, however, that my experiences of higher education were a far cry from espresso, berets and Robert Pinsky. In fact, last night's Queen's Players Toronto show (for the uninitiated, Players is a really low-brow musical comedy based on pop culture that has become a much-loved tradition) basically summarized my time at Queen's:
  • irresponsible binge drinking consistently met with rabid approval
  • laughter
  • Hawaiian shirts as far as the eye can see
  • sticky floors
  • vague irritation brought on by skanky tube-topped girls and obnoxious frat boys
  • music
  • holy shit! so many white people!
  • just a dash of sexual frustration
  • dancing (but only after giving my liver a thorough soaking)

That pretty much encapsulates my university experience. It was fun to re-live it for a night. Especially since I didn't have to worry about writing an essay or something the following day.

Post-Players, we went to Lee's to see Matt Mays play. A couple of friends have a bit of a sex thing for Mr. Mays (one says he + El Torpedo = our generation's Neil Young/Crazy Horse and the other has dubbed him the Canadian Tom Petty), but after looking at a couple of photographs, I didn't so much understand the appeal. Until I saw him live.

He was all kinds of shaggy and sweaty (yes, this is hot). He would also spit onstage and snarl a la THE DIRTY DIRTY SEXADIES and he has the most heart-stopping smile (as one particular individual will attest). At one point, the man was just ripping into his guitar and showing off his gleaming teeth. I had to chomp into my fist to take the edge off...and very nearly broke the skin. Yes, I almost drew blood out of pure animal lust for Matt Mays. (It's been a while since I've drawn actual blood for someone. I believe it was at a long-ago Queen's Players show, appropriately enough.)

In other, non-music-related news, I've been feeling prettty great lately. I got some much-needed closure on an emotional issue. It'd been nagging at me for close to six months so I feel sort of...unshackled. Plus, it's lovely outside, I have a tan, I can feel my body getting stronger with all of the exercise I've been doing and I will be starting a cool grown-up job in a couple of weeks.

Life is good, babies.

Over and out.

(Now playing: "Wash in the Rain", The Bees)

5 Comments:

Blogger Caitlin H. said...

Matt Mays.

I am having a hard time writing this Chart review and not simply resorting to putting "MATT MAYS OMFG SO HAWT" over and over again.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Sofi said...

Might I suggest a lengthy paragraph stating the reasons why he should sire millions of your babies?

8:21 PM  
Blogger Caitlin H. said...

1. I think flannel is sexy.
2. The shaved look? SO 90's.
3. You have sweat glands. I have sweat glands. LET'S MATE!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Sofi said...

Wait wait wait...you find the Junior Boys entertaining live and Matt Mays boring?

Is today OPPOSITE DAY?

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Basho!

Banana Tree!

6:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home