Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Laugh Laugh

This is my friend Andrew Johnston.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Try to remember his partially-obscured face.

Last night, Daniel and I went to Yuk Yuk's to support Andrew in the semi-finals of a comedy search thing. He went up against 15 of the best (and...um...less best) amateur stand-up comics in the city. And do you know what that Andrew did? He won, that's what he did!

The finals will be airing on the Comedy Network sometime in February. The winner will receive a prize of $25 000.

Andrew basically rules. We love him.

In other news, a friend asked me if I'd consider DJing his friend's wedding. Flattered though I was, I had to decline. Not only do I not have any of my own equipment, it would probably be a huge fucking disaster:

Me: (Playing obscure Japanese garage) This wedding RULES!
Sobbing bride: Why won't she play "Nights in White Satin"?
Livid groom: (Pounding motion with fists)
Me: (Reluctantly segue into "The Chicken Dance". Head to open bar)

(Now Playing: "Sometime At Night", The Chesterfield Kings)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like The Moody Blues.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Sofi said...

So do I. Just not "Nights In White Satin".

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I thought all the girls melted whenever Justin Hayward starts singing...

We went to the comedy club in K-town last night - one of the three guys was truly funny. The other two, kinda sorta. Tough crowd, though. I'm amazed at the ability of comedians to be able to read their audience, do their thing, and yet not offend too many people, please as many as possible, etc. Way tougher than being in a band, in my opinion.

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude! there's big money in weddings. it only costs 30-40$ for dj equipment, and 80$ for the speakers and dj gear, if needed. and don't act like you wouldn't play the killers or something poppy. i say do it.
josh

2:55 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

wasn't andrew in sabooge?

11:24 AM  
Blogger Sofi said...

No, that was another Andrew (who now lives in Montreal).

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We could make a business out of it - I marry them, you DJ their parties.

We'd corner the market on indie/scenesters with good musical and rabbincal taste!

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home