Monday, December 05, 2005

Nostalgia Machine

I work with a lot of people of my approximate age. People in my immediate vicinity are mostly in their late twenties or early thirties, so we were all kids in the 1980s.

The other day, a co-worker and I were talking about cartoons that we watched when we were little. I was pleased to learn that he was also a big fan of Dr. Snuggles.

Dr. Snuggles, for those of you who don't remember, was this nutty little cartoon about an inventor who bounced around on an umbrella-like pogo stick and who associated with a zany cast of characters, including a tree with pop cans adorning its branches and a camel that smoked a hookah pipe and drank "tea".

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I used to watch it a lot as a kid. In highschool, I would frantically describe this show to people, hoping that they remembered it, too. Most didn't. Some people asked me if I was totally sure I hadn't just dreamed about it.

I...uh...didn't have very many friends in highschool.

My co-worker and I waxed nostalgic for Today's Special, Sebastian & Belle and Astro Boy, among others. But then he brought up The Green Forest.

Holy. Shit.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Memory is a crazy thing. I had completely forgotten about that show, but then it all came rushing back. I used to watch it maybe twice a day as a kid. And I distinctly remember watching it and eating a pink popsicle in the hospital while recovering from a tonsilectomy at the age of four.

I can still hear the bluejay squacking "Trouble! Trouble!"

The moral of the story? I watched way too fucking much TV as a kid.

(Now Playing: "E-Pro", Beck)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you are feeling blue,
When you are feeling down.
Just do what Simon did;
Go underground.
Down there in the dark,
You hear a happy sound.
It's the secret railroad.
Adventure bound!
You better climb on board
the train's about to leave.
All you need is a passenger.
Your tickets, please!

(Name that cartoon, Sofi)

9:38 AM  
Blogger Sofi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:49 AM  
Blogger Sofi said...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v389/sofip/rail2.jpg

What do I win?

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Errr....That depends. Do you remember that cartoon, or did you merely google the theme song lyrics?

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my god. thank you, sofi. the dr. snuggles issue has been plaguing me for years. i'd ask everyone 'remember the little bald dude who flew around in some machine and floated around in a bubble one day?' no one remembered. until you. you are special. good to see you last night.
joan.

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

holy smokes this post took me down memory lane - Sofi I think we had parallel childhoods...

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home