Thursday, November 17, 2005

You Spin Me Right Round, Baby

I have a question for all of the record geeks out there.

When I was 16 or so, I won a prize package from a local radio station. It consisted of a Moist t-shirt (which thrilled me at the time), a few CDs, and a Hype! boxed set, compiled by Sub Pop records.

This is what the boxed set looks like:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

There were four 45s inside.

I didn't pay much attention to the records at the time, since we didn't have a functional record player (and I didn't even know what a spindle was until I had my radio show at CFRC, so I'd never before played a 45).

I re-discovered that boxed set not that long ago.

And oh. my. fucking. GOD.

So...four 45s. I had forgotten that they were made of coloured marbled vinyl. They look a bit like this, but with a yellow Sub Pop label in the middle of each.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Would you like to know what's on these gorgeous, never-before-played marbled Sub Pop records? Well, then. Let tell you! Bands like Mudhoney, Soundgarden, Young Fresh Fellows and...wait for it...Nirvana.

That's right. I own a virginal 7 inch copy of Nirvana's "Negative Creep" and Mudhoney doing a live version of "Touch Me I'm Sick".

I touch them and I shake.

Should I sell them (they are rather valuable - the set would sell for over $200, most likely)? Play them? Or continue to keep them in my room and look at them with great wonder and awe every once in a while?

Your comments are desired.

(Now playing: "The Real World", The Bangles)

12 Comments:

Blogger Sofi said...

For a second there, I read that name as "Stacey Case" and got a bit excited.

STACEY CASE! ARE YOU OUT THERE? TELL ME WHAT TO DO AND I WILL LISTEN!

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry to burst your bubble, but I listened to those once like 5 years ago.

All have been deflowered.

Sorry.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Albino Squirrel said...

Play 'em. Collectibles are ridiculous if nobody ever gets a chance to enjoy them.

12:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

KEEP THEM! I'm not sure what you were doing in the early 90s, but I was listening to Soundgarden and Nirvana and drawing on my chuck taylors. Please, please don't sell them. It's so nice to know you have those records.

9:23 AM  
Blogger Christine Estima said...

not to be a total Comic Book Guy, but i say keep them safely in their packages, away from dust and heat, don't play them that often, and wait about 20 years.

you can retire off those babies, papamarko!!

best. episode. ever.

10:11 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

Keep 'em - you never, never, never know. Besides, they might put your kids through college one day

12:26 PM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

Sell them to Stocc, Sofi. He was an obsessive Nirvana collector back in the day. He listened to shit like "beans" for pleasure!

11:48 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

OH.

MY.

GOD.

I've been looking for that Soundgarden "Room a 100 Years Wide" Sub Pop single for ages.

Ideally, you should keep them. But if you ever get the urge to sell, give me a ring (for the Soundgarden one)

7:12 PM  
Blogger Caitlin H. said...

Never mind this Sub-Pop madness -- MOIST T-SHIRT. OH EM GEE.

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Keep them. Play them. Do not hang them on your wall like the white vinyl 2-disc Beatles White Album travesty of William Street."

lol!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Sofi said...

Hey, we LOVED our wall o' vinyl!

5:45 PM  
Blogger AC'63 said...

Put them on a shelf and drool every time you look at them, then when and if you have kids put them away in a safe place (but go there at night, take them out and drool).
When and if your kids grow up, take them out and put them in a safe place with a threat of death if the kids ever touch them.
When your old and cranky (in your 40's) you can drool over them or play them at your leisure.

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home