Sunday, September 19, 2004

Stories of the Street

This morning, Lindsay, Katherine and I decided to go to Mile-End and get some Montreal-style bagels. As we were waiting at a bus stop, a couple walked by us. The man was older and was wearing a grey suit. The woman was young-ish and was wearing a black coat and had shiny dark hair. I barely noticed them because I was too busy looking for the bus.

Seconds later, Katherine said, "Wasn't that Leonard Cohen?" She had to repeat herself three times before I understood what she said.

Lindsay dashed into action. She (inconspicuously?) ran past the couple, slowed to a halt, and began "window shopping" just slightly ahead of them. She then turned around, got a good look, and ran back towards us. Her facial expression confirmed that it was him. He stopped, turned around, and I watched him watch her sprint away from him.

My mental snapsnot of Leonard Cohen is of an elderly, short-ish, distinguished-looking man with white stubble in a grey suit watching Lindsay run towards me, a look of confusion on his face.

Later, I wrote "Leonard Cohen sighting" as my MSN name and got the following messages from my very lovely 13-year-old cousin:

~_**Khrystyna**_~ i smell snow!!!! says:
who's leonard cohen
~_**Khrystyna**_~ i smell snow!!!! says:
is he that guy from star treck?

(Now playing: "Mushaboom", Feist)

5 Comments:

Blogger Andrew said...

He was. Shatner had him on for an episode (helping out his Montreal homey) but got jealous when Cohen's poetic musings got more alien women than he did - so kicked him off.

Stupid Shatner

12:50 PM  
Blogger Sofi said...

I was inside the Shatner building the other day!


(I wish William Shatner circa 1966 was inside of me...)

4:10 PM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

I always thought Leonard Cohen had a certain Vulcan quality about him. Maybe it's because he's a Jewish guy named Leonard, much like Nimoy himself. He'd have made a good Sarek.

5:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always thought Leonard Cohen had a certain Vulcan quality about him.Possibly because Leonard Cohen's of the cohenim, the traditional holy priests within Judaism... and, were we in a more Orthodox setting, or in Eastern Europe pre-WWII, he might have learned the ceremonies and sanctifications including the hand jesture that Nimoy "stole" from the cohenim to use on Star Trek.

4:30 PM  
Blogger I am the lizard queen said...

I am incredibly impressed that you refrained from running up and humping the lady's man's leg. I would not have been able to show such restraint. Are you some sort of nun? Unlikely since you, Sofi, are truly sex on a stick.
-Liz

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home