Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Uncomfortably Numb

Today's high was -23 degrees. The low (factoring in the windchill) was apparently -41 this morning, but by the time I left the house, it had settled down to a balmy-by-comparison -36.

A particularly bad day to lose a button on one's winter coat. Which I did.

My action-packed weekend included the company of a fun houseguest, a party at our apartment on Saturday (the damage: 45+ people, 0 irate neighbours, 3 shattered glasses, 1 groping incident, 1 fool mouth, 1 ruined date, 1 potentially ruined marriage) and seeing the Scissor Sisters with Katie on Sunday night.

I didn't know much about the Scissor Sisters going into the show, except that they're fucking huge in the UK and they do a rather horrific disco-fied cover of Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb". I went to Spectrum with an open mind, not expecting very much.

The Scissor Sisters were super awesome!



They took everything that was brutal about the 1970's (sequins, disco, shiny pants, fun fur, synchronized dance moves, etc.) and made it good. They were fun and funny and energetic and costumed and campy and kicked complete ass. I may not have been wowed by all of their songs, but their hilarious stage banter and the fact that I was so thoroughly entertained from start to finish more than made up for it.

One of the best moments of the show was during the encore (after a wardrobe change) when Ana Matronic said, "This is a traditional Scottish folk song" and they proceeded to do a really great cover of Franz Ferdinand's "Take Me Out". I squealed and clapped along with all of the vigour and enthusiasm I usually reserve for Sharon, Lois and Bram or Sandra Beach concerts.

I'm going to use the recent cold snap as an excuse to hole myself up in my room and do schoolwork this week and weekend. I mean it. All work. No play. Signed it. Stamped it. No erasies.

(Now playing: "The Smell of Incense", The Smoke Rings)

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I was at that show as well! Check out the review I did of the show off my blog.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I am now addicted to your blog.

You've got a great taste in music.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home