Friday, December 24, 2004

Memory Lane

I'm not yet ready to commit to a list of my favourite albums of the year, so I'm just going to list my five favourite blog posts from The Bee's Knees this year. Shamelessly self-indulgent? Maybe. But I think you will enjoy. Do keep in mind that these posts do not reflect my favourite parts of 2004. In fact, I tend to be a funnier blogger when I am bored/tired/frustrated/emotionally distressed. The Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Four has been a year of rapturous highs and low low lows, but the lows are mainly reflected in the following posts. Let's laugh at my pain together! Ready? Let's go!


Five Easy Steps to Illicitly Acquiring An Isic Card for Fun and Profit


Dressy Bessy


Degeneration


Walk Like an Egyptian


Jay & Erin: A Like Supreme


Mike O'Neill and friends played the Horseshoe the other night. The evening has been thoroughly documented by other members of the Queen's University Alumni Inbreds Appreciation Society (that's QUAIAS for short), so I don't think I need to say very much about it. Except that Mr. O'Neill played everything I wanted to hear (including Alsatian exactly when I wanted to hear it) and when he broke down during a charming rendition of "What a Wonderful World", I yearned to hop onstage and hold the dear man. The Most Endearing Moment in Indie Rock History? I think so.

It occurred to me as I was leaving the Horseshoe that, if the tavern was hit by a rocket or something, it would be a national tragedy. Some of the most brilliant Canadian songwriters of our time were housed in the Horseshoe that night: Mike O'Neill, Dave Ullrich, Matt Murphy, Ron Sexsmith, and Jill Barber. It they ever joined musical forces, the land would be devastated by the sheer magnitude of melodic awesomosity.

Finally, many thanks to Doug and Dave for throwing the finest (and fucking classiest) Festivus party I've ever had the pleasure of attending. See you next year. (And then never again.)

(Now playing: "Stop-Start" The Superfriendz)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home