Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Hey, Torontoist! Here's a disparaging remark for you: you're stupid!

Not 24 hours after Torontoist runs an interview and photograph of my dear darling Matt, they go straight into my bad books. The reason? They slam opinions expressed by myself and Mr. Aaron Brophy in eye's 2004 Music Critics Poll.

My comments in the poll were as follows:

Far be it from me to disagree with David Bowie and 95% of the critics participating in this poll, but "Funeral" should not be the Album of the Year. Is it a strong record? Definitely. Is it exceptional? Not really. Are there are at least 30 other, better records that came out this year that I will listen for years to come while "Funeral" collects dust on my shelf? Absolutely. (Ashes to ashes.)

Joshua Errett of Torontoist blathers:

As Torontoist sits down to reflect upon last year's Arcade Fire album, we ask ourselves: "Is all we ever do is sit down to reflect upon last year's Arcade Fire album?" Watching the Win and Regine show last night on Conan O'Brien raised a completely separate issue though. That issue, briefly, is Chart Magazine. (Not a specific Chart issue, but the content of the publication in general.) This week's 2004 Eye Music Critic's Poll included two absurd statements from the silly Canadian music magazine (only available in print, fortunately). First, there's a disparaging slam directed toward our heroes the Arcade Fire by Chart writer Sofi Papamarko. Sofi, it should be noted, is a fan of the Killers. Then, Editor Aaron Brophy issues a vile and insulting reproach of the last Wilco album. Gross! What is going on over at those Chart offices? Listening to Hot Fuss a little too much? Perhaps? At any rate, Chart Magazine is completely out of their element.

What was that, Joshua? Disparaging? Care to look that word up in the dictionary? Oh, nevermind. I know how busy you all are at Torontoist. Here, let me do it for you:

dis·par·ag·ing
adjective
contemptuous or disapproving: showing or expressing contempt or disapproval

I don't disapprove of "Funeral", Joshua. I just don't think it's that fantastic, that's all. Neighbourhood # 3 (Power Out) manages to kick my ass every time. Crown of Love is dreamy and makes me want to cuddle pillows. The rest of the album? I could honestly take it or leave it. And I have a feeling I'm not alone in my thinking.

(Now playing: "Wrecking Now", Guided by Voices)

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best album of 2012...

Implanted Curcuits
iZac and the Love-bots
(Universal/Warner/Sony/Disney/EMI/Saddle Creek records)

Sofi's brother who is also way cool.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Caitlin H. said...

From one ChartAttack hack to another, I give props -- you hit it bang-on. Kudos for taking on Bowie (and defending our dear ranting editor). ;)

4:58 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Wow. How pretentious are those guys. Starting a music-flame-war over a difference in music tastes is...so...fucking...juvenile...

The album of the year FOR ME was Mark Lanegan's "Bubblegum"... but that's MY opinion. You may not agree with it, you may have not even *listened* to it, but it's my subjective opinion.

I also like "Rebellion (Lies)" the best, but I digress.

2:36 AM  
Blogger Sofi said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Sofi said...

UPDATE! Torontoist and I have agreed to disagree, and they are once again in my good books.

Seriously, how can I stay mad at an adorable moppet-y hipster like Josh Errett (who, as it turns out, I met several times when we were both attending Queen's. For the record, both he AND his friends were very impressed with my DJing at the Toucan a couple of years back)? The answer is, I just can't.

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, yeah you are (alone in your thinking, that is). Those who can't play, critique.

10:39 PM  
Blogger Sofi said...

I disagree with the former statement (see some of the other comments in this blog for your proof, Anonymous) but I feel no shame in admitting that the latter is 100% true. I write because I cannot play.

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And write you should, and continue. Though perhaps not on something as self-serving as a blog, the net is horribly riddled them. Down with push-button publishing and up with the actual writing! You are quite capable of that Ms. Papamarko.

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Show your face, Mr or Ms Anonymous! Or I will be forced to discredit your opinions based solely on the fact that you are dismissing blogs, but using a blog comment page as a forum to do so.

Daphna

8:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ahhhh, i'm glad we can all get along. feel free to critique my lists/writing/hairdo whenever you feel the urge. what is progress without checks and balances?
josh
ps. in that i am something of a legend around the toronto music scene, i would argue that i both CAN and DO.

2:02 PM  
Blogger Sofi said...

When anyone utters the phrase "Toronto Music Legend", I think we can all agree that "Joshua Errett" is the first name that comes to mind. (Cough.)

9:28 AM  
Blogger K. Valliant-Saunders said...

Hey Sofi,
a long time friend of my brother (Duncan) is the bassist for arcade fire (RP). I'm glad to hear that you don't find his music utterly entrancing. I'm also glad to hear that someone really really likes Arcade Fire. Actually I heard they played Conan the other night. I remember Richard calling me "nippy" in high school because I once came to the door in a white t-shirt through which, you could see my nipples.

Ha!

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home