Wednesday, February 09, 2005

I'm So Tired I Can't Sleep

I've had between 0 and 3 hours of sleep per night since Saturday.

Sunday night I literally did not sleep at all. It was one of those horrible checking-the-clock-every-half-hour nights where you just want to punch your pillow out of frustration and you beg your body to sleep. I eventually gave up, turning off my alarm clock 5 minutes before it was set to go off.

Right now, I'm so exhausted that my eyes are having trouble focussing on the words I am typing, I have a pounding headache, and my hands are quite literally shaking.

Why is this happening? I don't really know. It's likely one of the following reasons:

1) My bed has spontaneously decided to become extremely uncomfortable.
2) Genetics have caught up with me and I've finally reached the age when Papamarkos stop sleeping entirely (my dad and grandmother think 4 hours a night are sufficient).
3) I'm stressed about school (ah hahahaa!) or
4) I can't stop thinking about the Toronto Fringe Festival, and whether or not my play will be selected. I find out TODAY, so I keep hitting refresh on my email. Honestly, it's driving me batshit insane.

I'm going have some warm milk later this afternoon and try to take a nap. If that doesn't work, I don't think I can avoid the chemical route any longer. I need to get some decent rest soon, or I'll fucking snap.

(Now playing: "Johnny Thunder", The Kinks)

Update: The Toronto Fringe Festival can go to H-E-double-hockey-sticks. My application was not pulled in last night's lottery (where 100+ plays were selected). This is hilarious to me since my name was the SECOND drawn out of a pool of 300+ potential jurors when I went to the Toronto courthouse for jury selection last fall. In my life, I will never win the lottery...but I'll probably get struck by lightning a few times.

P.S. Please forgive incredible bitterness. I still have not slept.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sofi,

If you don't get shown this year, I will boycott on the basis of the stupidity of a lottery.
If you do get shown this year, I will be there for opening night (hopefully, but I'm really bad at keeping commitments).

Either way - OH MY GOD YOU CAN WRITE GOOD PLAYS! This puts you in the category of "super amazing genius" as far as I'm concerned. Do you know what a rare talent this is, regardless of the fringe festival? There are thousands of bad writers out there and you are a good one.

Go get some sleep pretty baby,

Daphna

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sofi,

(1) What daphna said re: Toronto's Fringe Fest

(2) Sleeping aids and I go waaaaay back. I suggest any number of things, but what consistently works best for me (better than even sleeping pills) is a joint enjoyed while sipping Bailey's. And, since the SAQ strike means the stores will reopen Friday, I will once again be stocking up in my sweet Bailey love. I will happily grab you a bottle.

(3) We both know you're not stressed about school. (insert envy here.)

xox
Benjamin

5:06 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I have the new QOTSA album. I can give it to you and it'll cheer you up. Huh? :)

7:19 PM  
Blogger I am the lizard queen said...

Sorry about the fringe jackasses. You should apply to the one here!

Stupid insomnia! I totally know how crappy it is. If I can't sleep tonight I'm busting out my emergency weed.

-Liz
P.s. the SAQ strike is actually ending? Why wasn't I informed?

12:08 AM  
Blogger Sofi said...

The deadline for Montreal Fringe has passed. But there's still Regina and Boulder, Colorado! Dare I dream?

6:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home