Sunday, February 06, 2005

Let's Get Physical



I've been going to the gym a lot lately ("a lot" for me = 3 times a week). I'm feeling pretty good. My legs and my arms have already gotten much stronger, and my overall sense of well-being has really improved. Right after a workout, my whole body is humming and happy and tells me, "Thank you for getting off your lazy ass and actually USING me! I really appreciate it. Here, have some endorphins!"

There's one problematic side effect to all of this physical activity, however. Immediately after a really good workout, I get rather...ermm....lusty.

I once heard that this has something to do with an increase in testosterone levels in women after being physically active. Chemically, we become more like men. And we want it.

Like, badly.

It hasn't even been that long since I last...got satisfaction. In fact, I suppose it was relatively recently (considering how chronically undersexed I usually am). But that lovely warm memory does very little to curb my desire to attack just about anything with stubble and an adam's apple, post-workout.

No freakin' wonder so many women meet their partners at the gym. It's you or the showerhead, baby.

(Now playing: "Moonshake", Can)

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never heard the testosterone theory you've mentioned. And it doesn't quite make sense to me, as women's testosterone is in the form of various androgens but I didn't think it included actual testosterone.

It could be that you're getting... charged from the pheromones at the gym too. Men sweating, your chemicals are reacting...

~Benjamin

1:40 PM  
Blogger Albino Squirrel said...

Yep, it's the testosterone. Women do produce (tiny) amounts of testosterone (from the ovaries, oddly enough), which does have a pretty hefty effect on the sex drive.

But you think that's bad? No, that ain't bad. Men make much more testosterone than normal when they sweat. MUCH more. I'm just sayin' it's a good thing I finish up my run at home.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

two words for this blog - tee hee. i'm glad i'm not the only one with pre-spring fever. yeowsa. good for you for getting to the gym, though. you're my hero. xo, lindsay.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Peter Lynn said...

I don't seem to have the same experience that Cam does after working out. And it's a good thing too. The first place I go after leaving the gym is upstairs to my desk at the office. Not a convenient place for that sort of thing.

1:19 AM  
Blogger I am the lizard queen said...

One of my profs mentionted in lecture that a hetero couple's sexual satisfaction tends to correlate positively with the woman's testosterone level. Correlation does not prove causality, but still....damn.
We should hit Jupiter room again soon to find someone to satisfy them urges. Or I could start sneaking saltpetre into your pancakes.

1:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sofi,
I get the same thing post-workout. Sometimes I go to a double aerobics class and the last 10 minutes are silent relaxation. Guess what I start thinking about? Sadly, the hour long bus ride home in cold weather kills some of the hot thoughts. But not all of them...
Daphna

10:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Sofi, Daphna, and others...

Perhaps it's time to start bringing... toys to the gym? Post-workout, go have some fun in the change room, in a stall, or in a sauna... Or, if not the exhibitionist type, I'm sure there's bound to be a less-public spot somewhere to have some fun before leaving the gym and having the cold bus ride home ruin the buzz.

xox
Benjamin

3:57 PM  
Blogger Sofi said...

The washroom in the locker room already comes equipped with a complimentary hairdryer. Why not take it one step further?

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You guys really make me SICK!!!

Neil

1:14 AM  
Blogger Sofi said...

Dear Neil,

Whoa! SOMEbody needs him a vibrator!

Heart,

-Sofi

9:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hairdryer... I'm sure it could be adapted for some fun... (Just be careful not to get burnt! OW!)

Benjamin (whose dirty mind is churning with ideas for adapting the hairdryer)

2:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, usually what I do is just bring that rabbit right to the shower with me. Oh and I display too, just so all the other ladies know HOW BIG it is. Y'know what I mean?!

Seriously.
-Kem

12:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home