Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Public Service Announcement

Please do not try to pick up women on public transportation.

On my way home from work today, I watched as a young man approached a young woman a few seats away from me. He walked up to her, grinning with (what I thought was) recognition. She did not return his grin. Since I was listening to my iPod, it took me a moment to realize what was going on. The young lady regarded him with amusement/mild trepidation. I could smell alcohol on him by this point. I turned down my iPod to listen in on their conversation, but it didn't last long. She got off at the very next stop.

Him: You gotta go so soon?
Her: Yeah, this is my stop! Bye!

I sat there, trying not to crack a smile. What a loser! Boy, was I ever glad I wasn't that girl!

Him: Hey....so what's your name?

This was directed at me.

I turned up my iPod and continued to stare out the window.

I'm not entirely sure what I found more offensive - the fact that this man was drunkenly hitting on women on a bus, or the fact that I was his fallback option.

Bruised egos aside, the moral of the story is that buses/subways/streetcars are not bars. If you are drunk and/or horny on the TTC, that does not mean that anyone else is. Most commuters aren't looking for love or a even quick blowjob in the nearest McDonald's restroom. They just want get to work/school/home.

And they don't want to talk to you.

(Now playing: "What's Your Problem?", The Gruesomes)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I met my best boyfriend on the subway. He was wearing a Thrush Hermit t-shirt, though, so I figured he wasn't so sketchy.

1:34 AM  
Blogger JTL said...

I'm sorry. In my defence, though, when I get nine Singapore Slings in me, I get a little frisky around St. Clair station.

2:01 AM  
Blogger Sofi said...

Boys in Thrush Hermit t-shirts are generally benign, it's true.

There should be more of them.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

true this individual sounds like a lout. but meeting women on the subway is perfectly fine. and it's much easier to go home with someone if you're already on the bus. plus, who goes to bars anymore?

11:35 PM  
Blogger Carlyjayjay said...

I'd like to add to this Sofi: Please, men, do not try to engage a woman in ANY kind of conversation on public transportation after 10pm. Particularly if she's alone. That's creepy, and scary, and I promise you it'll get you nothing, and probably scare the bejeezus out of everyone else.

9:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home