Sunday, February 22, 2004

There Are Worse Things in this World

This update is mostly due to popular demand. I haven't done much at all this week, aside from working. Today was my baba's 82nd birthday. She is feisty, funny, entirely of sound mind, entirely independent, and conclusively kick-ass. I only hope to make it to 82 if I am exactly like her in every possible way.

I had my first fitting for my bridesmaid dress on Saturday afternoon. I was a little bit worried about how it would look on me, but it's actually quite nice. It is also the most expensive thing I have EVER worn in life (over $500, $120 of that for alterations alone! Alterations consisting of taking in the straps and hemming the bottom.) I am happy that it is pretty.

Oh! Oh! Oh! I went out this week! Twice! First to Spring Rolls and C'est What with Carolyn mid-week and last night with Alison and (a different) Carolyn to The Fox & The Fiddle and The Stag Shop. The Stag Shop was neat. We examined their collection of massively overpriced vibrators and Alison & Carolyn both decided to test-run pretty lube that the salesgirl told us tasted just like grape juice. (Whoa - I just mentioned my grandmother's birthday in the same post as I mentioned vibes and lube. That's not right, somehow.)

Hmm. Ben has brought it to my attention that I am in a rut. I agree, but it's just so difficult to have an actual life when one a) lives in the suburbs b) does not drive c) lives with one's overprotective European parents and d) has a job with crazy hours that demands waking up at 5:30AM on weekends.

I spent a lot of time mentally preparing myself for the unfunnest year of my life, so it's really not as bad as it could be, or even as bad as I had imagined it would be.

Observe:

FADE IN ON - A GREEN AND PINK BEDROOM WITH FLORAL DETAILING, PUNCTUATED BY STUFFED ANIMALS AND PORCELAIN COLLECTOR COUNTRY HATS ON THE WALLS. THIS IS THE SORT OF ROOM A TEN-YEAR-OLD GIRL OR SIXTY-YEAR-OLD WOMAN MIGHT FEEL COMFORTABLE IN. CUT TO - A YOUNG WOMAN, 23. WEEPING BLOODY TEARS.

YOUNG WOMAN: I'm so lonely! I have no money! And no job! And no future! I'm so entirely screwed! And also, lonely! So lonely! So lonely!

ENTER - PARENTS OF YOUNG WOMAN.

PARENTS: Hi honey. It's 8PM. Past your bedtime! Get to bed like a good girl!
YOUNG WOMAN: Yes, mom/dad.
PARENTS: Goodnight, darling little one! Don't ever leave us!

PARENTS FLICKS OFF LIGHT SWITCH.

YOUNG WOMAN TURNS ON FLASHLIGHT AND READS "THE BELL JAR" UNDER HER COVERS, SOBBING ALL THE WHILE.

It's only been about 63% that bad. It could be much, much worse.

It's not as if I've been sent off to war.

(Now playing: "Jonathan David", Belle & Sebastian)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home