Thursday, February 26, 2004

Don't Cry

I've been weirdly emotional lately. Mostly in the past month or so. I'm not sure if it's hormonal or what, but it's kind of irritating. To clarify: not emotional as in "my life is an emotional rollercoaster" or anything. I just cry all the damned time about stupid stupid shit - sometimes in public - and it's getting kind of embarrassing.

Here are some things that have set me off recently:


  • this tiny baby on the subway today who regarded me silently and with such wisdom - it was overwhelming and I had to choke back tears.

  • the ending of Lost in Translation. The first thing I said when the credits rolled was, "That was SO sad!" and just about lost it. But then Rob said, "No, it wasn't," and I felt instantly dumb and dramatic and swallowed the big giant lump in my throat to save face. Because I cannot let him believe that I am anything less than macho.

  • my grandmother's stories about her life before, during and after the war (okay, tears are warranted there).

  • an old bearded busker at Sheppard Station singing James Goddamn Taylor, for Christ's sake! Within 5 bars of "Fire and Rain", I was a blubbering idiot. People were staring!

  • finally, the most shameful of them all - when Ian proposed to Meredith last night on the finale of The Bachelorette.


I'll understand if you no longer wish to be my friend.

(Now playing: "Where is my Mind?", The Pixies)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home