Saturday, March 13, 2004

Painkillers for my Heart

I've had a rough past couple of days. I'd get into more detail than that, but it's too private a matter for a public medium. Those closest to me know what's going on, so I don't feel the need to elaborate. Nonetheless, for the sake of posterity, I have alluded to it cryptically and that's really all I feel the need to do. But enough about that.

I've got this entrance essay (Ryerson's Journalism postgrad) due next week and although I've known about it for weeks, I haven't even begun to write it. Or even think about it all that much. I have no idea how I made it through four years of massive essay writing when the thought of writing a piddly 300 word paper turns my stomach so. Maybe it's because there is so very much riding on it. Maybe it's because I have become really lazy this year. Maybe it's because the only writing that I've been doing lately is of the fun variety. Hey, does anyone feel like writing 250 - 350 words on how one specific piece of journalism inspired me to pursue the field? I'll bake you cookies! Chocolate ones, with nuts (or without nuts, if you are allergic)!

Speaking of nut allergies, did any other at-home-on-a-Friday-night-loser see the premiere of that new show "Wonderfalls"? It is like nothing I have ever seen before. It is fantastically funny and original and just so refreshingly bizarre that I wish I had written it. The premise is only half as kooky as the show itself: a depressed 24-year-old philosophy graduate named Jaye lives in a trailer and works in a gift shop at Niagara Falls. On the verge of a mental breakdown (or possibly not), toy animals at the gift shop talk to Jaye and instruct her to do certain things which eventually lead to a happy pay-off for others, ie. her lesbian sister finds love, the friendly UPS guy has an emergency pen shaft tracheotomy after accidentally eating peanuts but then the nurse of his dreams gives him a spongebath and they end up falling for each other, etc. Also, all of this mad mad madness might have something to do with the superpowers of the Maid of the Mist fountain, but it also might not. Even if you don't think it sounds like your cup of tea, I urge you to watch it before it inevitably gets cancelled for being too good. If you don't laugh out loud uproariously at least three times, I'll eat my hat! Or one of those cookies I baked you earlier! Damnit, I'll eat something!

(Now playing: "Answering Machine", Sekiden)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home