Saturday, April 03, 2004

La Vocabulaire

I'm a French-speaking genius. I had my first class at the Academie Francaise the other day and everything I learned in Extended French in junior highschool and h.s. came flooding right back to me right then and there. I know a lot more than I thought I did. So I'm happily feeling 100% more confident about covering francophone press conferences and I still have eleven classes to go. Maybe I'll even download a little Mitsou and expand my vocabulary exponentially. (Cowboy = mon cowboy. Noted!)

Yesterday, I had ginger chicken at Ginger with Lindsay Lynch. She is lovely and always fun and has the inside scoop on the Canadian music industry. It's pretty impressive how much she knows. Oh, and her eye make-up was really pretty (hi Lindsay!). She and I are at very similar stages in our lives (the "new start, clean slate, finding myself" stage), so it was very comforting talking to her. Later on, Katherine and I went to see Lederhosen Lucil, who krautrawks mein hosen. If you have never experienced her live, I suggest you do so because there are very few things more entertaining in life. (I've often described her as a novelty act gone horribly, horribly right.) Anyway, her theme for the night was gardening - in tribute to springtime, which has yet to arrive - so there were plastic flowers littered all over her Yamaha, and Krista/Lucil wore red-and-white checkered lederhosen and gardening gloves. The highlight of the night was when she brought up her back-up band...two studly rockstar-looking guys dressed as garden gnomes. Vests, beards, gigantic hats. The works. It was pretty priceless. Unfortunately, I couldn't enjoy her set 100% because she didn't go on until 12:20AM and I was already sleep-deprived. Also, we had to tolerate two really awful openers - this girl Jenny from the Barmitzvah Brothers (who I hear are pretty good as a whole) and Parka 3 who pushed the "We're good because we're so painfully bad!" irony thing a little too far. Shaggy hair, nasal & insanely off-key singing and a kooky smattering of xylophones do not a cool indie band make. They should have just stayed in their basement.

I bought my first bustier today. It kicks a whole lot of ass.

Also ass-kicky: in the latest issue of Chart, my name preceeds Patrick Pentland's on the Contributing Writers list on the masthead. Our names look really good standing next to each other. I'll have to point that out to him someday.

I'm going to go to bed now. Seriously. Daylight Savings Time means I will be waking up at 4:30AM RealTime for work tomorrow. Pray for me.

Oh, and also pray for my dear Ben's eternal soul. He went to Brazil and I doubt he'll ever be coming back...

(Now playing: "Ooo...OMG", Lederhosen Lucil)